As we kick off the New Year, it’s customary for many people to create their own New Year’s resolutions for every aspect of their lives. With that, we are also of the mind that this is the perfect time for homeowners to reflect on their home maintenance habits and make new resolutions for their plumbing systems, too. Dealing with things like a high water bill or a wonky water heater can be a real pain. Now, we know you want to start the year on the right foot. By following a few simple steps, like fixing leaks right away and being mindful of what goes down the garbage disposal, you can make sure your plumbing system stays in tip-top shape all year round. So, take a moment to check out our eight practical ways to establish better plumbing practices, as recommended by your local experts at Narrow Path Plumbing.
- Water Bill- Keeping an eye on your water bill is a smart move to catch plumbing problems early on. If you spot a sudden increase in usage without any changes at home, it could mean a leak or some other issue is at play. So, by regularly monitoring your bill, you can nip these problems in the bud before they become expensive or inconvenient – and definitely unnecessary.
- Leaks- Kick off the year right by taking care of any leaks ASAP. Ignored leaks not only result in water wastage but could also signal bigger plumbing issues. Don’t let small problems turn into major headaches. Remember, leaks can go unnoticed under sinks, outdoor fixtures, appliances, and around toilets. So, if you’re dealing with any of these, make sure to address them promptly, and if not – great! Just keep a vigilant eye out for leaks in your home throughout the year!
- Drain Cleaners- One thing to keep in mind is that most store-bought drain cleaners are packed with seriously toxic chemicals. Not only are these substances unsafe to have around kids and harmful to everyone’s health, but they can also wreak havoc on your pipes. No matter what your pipes are made of, those same drain cleaners that claim to dissolve clogs can actually eat away at your pipes. As a homeowner, it’s best to steer clear of these cleaners and consider hiring a local plumber like Narrow Path Plumbing instead.
- Drain Screens- To help avoid clogs in your sink and shower drains, it’s a good idea to use drain screens. These inexpensive gadgets do a great job of catching hair, food particles, and other debris so they don’t build up and cause unwelcome blockages. Just make sure to clean them regularly to keep them clear and odor-free!
- Toilets- Having a toilet that keeps running not only wastes water but might also be a sign of an underlying plumbing issue. So, it’s important to tackle the problem right away to avoid water waste and potential toilet damage. And while we are on the topic of toilets, if any parts of your toilet, like the flush handle, seat, or float ball are worn out, now’s a great time to swap them out.
- Water Heater- It’s important to regularly flush and drain your water heater to get rid of sediment buildup. Per industry standards, this is something you should have done at least once a year. This simple maintenance task helps improve efficiency and extend the lifespan of your water heater. Also, don’t forget to check and adjust the temperature setting on the water heater to make sure it’s just right for safety reasons and optimal use. Finding the sweet spot can save you money on energy bills and keep your water heater running smoothly all year long.
- Garbage Disposal- Not all food scraps are cool to dispose of down the kitchen sink. Tossing the wrong kind of food scraps can cause clogs and mess up your system. So, it’s important to skip hard stuff like bones, fruit pits, and fibrous foods like celery or banana peels. Instead, think about composting or throwing these items in the trash.
- Plumbing Maintenance- Just like how we visit the doctor for regular check-ups, our plumbing systems also need some TLC. By getting a professional plumbing inspection once a year, you can catch and fix any potential issues before they become bigger problems). Plus, regular inspections can help you find ways to save water and energy so you can be more efficient and save some cash. Our team of experts is here to take care of your home’s plumbing, HVAC, and electrical systems. Give us a shout today to schedule your inspection and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a well-maintained home and plumbing system.
In a nutshell, adding these eight habits to your routine can really boost the durability and functionality of your plumbing system. Remember, staying proactive and mindful is key to keeping your plumbing in top shape. Don’t wait for an emergency to strike before taking action. Let’s kick off the New Year with these simple yet effective plumbing resolutions. Here’s to an awesome year ahead with fewer plumbing issues and better plumbing habits in 2024! Cheers!
We look forward to servicing your home’s plumbing in the new year! Call Narrow Path Plumbing today at (937) 623-2619, or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!